by Tina Ruggiero, M.S., R.D.
A healthy, baked sweet potato casserole recipe with cheese.
- 3 lbs. ripe sweet potatoes
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1½ cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste 1¼ cups skim milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly butter a 10 x 10 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Peel sweet potatoes; cut them in half lengthwise; then slice them into thin half-moon shapes.
- Evenly spread slices on the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle half the butter bits, cheese, salt and pepper. Repeat using the remaining ingredients.
- Gently pour milk over potatoes.
- Cook uncovered 40 – 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
TINA RUGGIERO, M.S., R.D., is president of Nutrition Dialog, where she works as a nutrition consultant, speaker and author, in New York and Florida.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
Last updated and/or approved: October 2010. Original article appeared in September/October 2008 former print magazine. Bio current as of that issue. This general health-care information is not meant as individual advice. Please see our disclaimer.